Saturday, December 29, 2007

Soul Strength vs Speed of Ministry

Recently, I stumbled upon an article called "Soul Train" by Mindy Caliguire, from the Leadership journal, Spring 2007. It is a good reminder article about our focus in this whole Christianity walk. It talks about our soul strength, which is our inner life, inner man, and that God is the only one that can build this inner life, inner man within you, and speed - of which the speed of getting involved and committed into ministry life, and the works and tasks involved. It brought up a really important point, which caused me to stop and paused to think...........where am I today?

This important point is that if our soul strength (inner life, inner man) is left unchecked after a period of time, can cause us to fall into a mode of just doing ministry, rather than having a life in ministry. Our soul strength could be left unchecked when we are in the busyness of doing and serving in ministry, and we forget that it is God we need to focus on, not our ministry. Ministry is on a side dish, and God is the main dish. Our relationship with God needs to be the foundation of our service in ministry. This has led me to remember a long time ago, when I was serving to a point of almost burn out, God challenged me and asked me who or what am I serving, God or ministry? And once again, as I read this, I have to re-checked my heart once again, is it God or is it ministry?

Our soul strength is not dependent on how much we can do, or how fast we can complete it. Our soul strength depends on how much time we spend to get to know God. It said in the article, that our speed line (that of ministry) is defined by our soul line (our soul strength). In other words, how far and fast we go in ministry is determined by our relationship with God, how much we are receiving and getting from God. The deeper our relationship and trust is in God, the further and more intense, we will be able to last through in ministry. It is a strategic decision that we need to make, whether to care for our soul (grow in a nurturing relationship with God), for long term effectiveness, or ignoring our soul and risking burnout and frustrations.

Mindy Caliguire puts it very well "Learning to let the health of our soul determine the speed of our ministry is what it means to run the race with endurance."

I am challenged that in this new year of 2008, I am determined to grow in a stronger health for my soul, to nourish and develop it with the Word of God, so that I will be able to find the strength and grace of God to endure the trials of ministry, all the way, to the end. Like how 1 Peter 1:24-25 puts it "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever." I want to build a soul that is everlasting in God, and God's word that never fades away will help one to endure to the end. Hope you can join me in this as well.

No comments: