Sunday, May 25, 2008

Strength of Compassion

I am not sure what sort of feeling you bear as you listen and watch the tragedies in Myanmar and Sichuan. In me, it has stirred not just emotional sadness, but it has brought about a heart wrenching burden, which I can't express with words. I want to do more than just donation alone, but it has stirred in me to want to be part of re-building the lives of people.

I was watching the coverage of the Sichuan earthquake, and seeing the loss and grief that people have gone through has broke my heart. However the more touching scene, is seeing the love of the workers, who have lost their own families, stepping out to show love and rescue all those out there. Looking at it, made me realise that there is such strength and resilience in the love and compassion of human. No matter how selfish a person may be, in the light of suffering, there seems to be many who would still care for one another.

I'm sure God hears the prayers of many Christians, crying out for the lives of people in Sichuan and Myanmar. Our God is a compassionate God, I have no answer why such tragedies have to happen, just like the 9/11 at WTC, I have no answer. But I know that God is a compassionate God, and that He will desire to bring healing and love into the people who have gone through such. However, these people will never experience God's healing and love if we as Christians do not step out to bring the physical healing, hope and life back into these ones. It really challenges one ...... what would we do to step out to bring God's love practically unto others.

The question that is burning in my heart.............How can we rebuild the lives of all these ones? I've got a pair of hands, and just a simple heart, God .......... use me. This is my prayer, I don't know what to do, but pray. I don't know how God can use this situation to turn people back to Him. But I believe in the compassion of God, that He loves all these ones who are hurting and grieving. Psalm 86 tells of God's compassion, and that His love and mercies are everlasting.


Psalm 86
A prayer of David.
1 Hear, O LORD, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.
2 Guard my life, for I am devoted to you. You are my God; save your servant who trusts in you.

3 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I call to you all day long.
4 Bring joy to your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
5 You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you.
6 Hear my prayer, O LORD; listen to my cry for mercy.
7 In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me.
8 Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord; no deeds can compare with yours.
9 All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; they will bring glory to your name.
10 For you are great and do marvelous deeds; you alone are God.
11 Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.
12 I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the depths of the grave. [
a]
14 The arrogant are attacking me, O God; a band of ruthless men seeks my life— men without regard for you.
15 But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
16 Turn to me and have mercy on me; grant your strength to your servant and save the son of your maidservant. [
b]
17 Give me a sign of your goodness, that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, for you, O LORD, have helped me and comforted me


Let the love of God flow. My heart goes out to all the children who have lost their parents, and as well to all the parents who have lost their children. If that's your burden too..........why don't you spend time, right now, to pray together, for all these ones - that their lives can have hope, that they can once again find strength to live because of the love and compassion of God.


No comments: