Sunday, December 17, 2006

Certainty of God's Promises


Have we ever asked ourselves what are the promises of God? and whether God's promises of the past is also promises to us. It is amazing when I think about it, that God has done so much for people in the past, and how come in my life, and today's world, we find it so hard to claim all that God has promised?

As I thought more, some thoughts brought me to grow in my faith in God, and trusting in God, and His promises. One of it is the everlasting nature of God, the God who never changes, who is the same yesterday, today and forever. When I ask myself what does it mean when God never change, it dawn upon me that it means...........whatever He has done in the past for people, He can do it for us today as well. And it is really about us trusting and having certainty in His character. Not just upon the promises, but it is upon God that we trust and seek. We seek the giver, not the blessings.

Something else that also came to mind is that we should seek the heart of God. And when we seek His heart, we will know His desires. Many times, we ask God to fulfil our desires, but it is only when we delight in Him, that He will give us the desires of our heart (Psalms 37:4). And I realise that I have been lacking in seeking God's desires, but rather, I've been asking God to fulfil my needs, and my lack. That I feel so ashamed of myself that I'm not sensitive to want to minister into God's presence. I asked myself why am I seeking so much for the blessings and the fulfillment of the desires on my heart..........I could only see "pride" and "selfishness". This really challenged me, not just to see my needs met, but to see that God's will be done.

Recently, I was pushed to my max at work that I started to break down, and when I talk to God, I realise that my attitude have been "God, why don't you meet this need of mine". I felt I have become so inward and self focused about my own need that I didn't want to hear about other people's need, and I became indifferent towards others. I felt so ugly about my own attitude that I felt I needed a slap on myself to wake up. The break down was good because it helped me to realise that I need to humble myself to seek God, and not just my needs have to be met...............I hated my negativity, hated my frustrations and anger, and struggled with pride. I just came to God and said "God, renew me. I cannot go on this way and still be a salt and light to the people around me".

That's when I realise that I need to claim God's promises in my life, that I need to know that God will provide in His timing, and not just because I have a need to be met. At the same time, it is to be sure that His timing is the best, and not just what I want. I said to God, I want to be certain, I want to know His promises, and I want to allow His power to flow through my life. When I came to understand this, I felt a peace come upon my heart, and though I still am in the midst of getting through it all, I ask God to continuously look to Him, others, and then myself. I said that I do not want to just be focus about my need being met, but I want to be focus that I am doing God's will.

My focus for the rest of this year..................to place my hope in God, and this will be the anchor of my convictions before God. That it is in Him alone that His will for my life will be fulfilled In Him and through Him.

"Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.



We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain,"




Hebrews 6:19

No comments: