Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Turn Your Other Cheek

It is awfully hard when Jesus tells us to turn our other cheek to our enemies even after they have slappped us on one. I wonder where do one find that sort of strength to forgive our enemeies. This has been one of those commands, which you know very well that it is what God desires, and you very well understands it, but yet it is so hard to carry it all out. Recently in life, I have been challenged by the fact that it is not easy to love your enemies. Situations in life have put me in a spot to ask myself, where should I stand when there is unfairness and injustice shown, and how people have been hurt by the unfairness and injustice. I reacted with anger in my heart, and formed judgement towards those who displayed the injustice.

Outwardly, it all seems nice and fine, but i know in my heart (and only God knows), that time and time again, I had anger in my heart towards all that has happened. I struggled, and time and time, I have repented before God, but things just don't get any better, and it just seems to be greater injustice. I found it hard, to turn my other cheek and be slapped with injustice. However, God has been reminding me..........that vindication is His, and I should not have anger. Day after day, it has been just that prompting in my heart, from the Holy Spirit, to forgive, to have peace.

It is hard, especially when outwardly you can't really express it out, and I just find myself so helpless. I have been meditating on the verse - Matthew 5:38-44........

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"

This is my prayer before God, to keep my heart pure, to keep my attitude right, and indeed, to truly forgive those who may bring injustice, because God has first forgiven us.

No comments: